January 7, 2011

Wedding Bells?

On the 29th December 2010 I was officially engaged for 2 years and I have a feeling that I have many more years to put under my belt as the sound of 'Here Comes The Bride' is slowly fading and honestly that's no-ones fault but the hard truth of reality.


Gone are the days where the bride's parents pay for the wedding, so its up to the future bride and groom to break open that dusty piggy bank and to start counting every penny - if only there were pennies to count... sigh!

Every girl dreams of the big lavish white wedding, with a personal twist to make it a 'wedding that no one has ever had' but truth is that not always possible, unless you were either born with a silver spoon in your mouth or if you are a giving Suze Orman a run for her money {excuse the pun} by being the 'saving your money' queen or king - neither which of I am.


I have always tended to do things against the grain and I don't always intend to do it that way - it just seems to end up taking that turn -  and getting older and hopefully a little wiser, has not stopped that - this is how you are 'supposed' to do things:


1. Date
2. Get Engaged
3. Move in together
4. Get Married
5. Buy a House
6. Have a baby
7. Live Happily Ever After

This is how I have done it:

3. Move in together
1. Date
2. Get Engaged
6. Have a baby
7. Live Happily Ever After

OK, seems I've been a bit hard on myself; I got the "dating then get engaged" part right ... and I don't have a 4. 5.  yet as they have not happened and I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I have thrown in my number 7. because I am a hopeless romantic and I love the man I'm going to be with even if I throw my best pots and pans at him once in awhile.

I want a beautiful wedding and I want a place to call home - I don't want to rent a place for the rest of my life.

So here is my dilemma ... do we buy a house and put off the wedding for another 20 million years? Or do we get married and put off having our own home for the other 20 million years?

The romantic in me is saying ... "It doesn't really matter because you have found the person you want to be with forever and a day, so if you get married now or in your completely over exaggerated 20 million years, does it really make a difference? The only thing that really matters is that you and him are together!"

Then the part of me that continuously worries what other people think, says: "You dumb !@#$%, if only you knew what people are saying and thinking behind your back! Just get married! Make a decent woman of yourself! The house can wait!"

Maybe, just maybe I will get to have both?!

I certainly don't want to hobble down the isle dragging my 75 year old boobs behind me...

After all is said and done - I do have the person that I want to be with and if I have anything to say about it - 'He ain't going nowhere' so we will make do with what we are giving - no matter the order!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. ai hunny, the moment i make my first 100 000 we will start planning your wedding.
    because i doubt i'll find my person so i'll have my wedding via you :)
    and this is the new world... we don't do things simple or in order any more :P

    ReplyDelete